15 December 2006

Six for '06

Here are six songs, released this year, that are not only musically stunning, but have meant a great deal to me for various reasons. If you've enjoyed them as well, drop me a comment. As always, follow the link to the MP3. And grab them quick, the links are only good for 7 days. For more information on these artists, check their links on the sidebar under [Nu]Sounds.

01Kate Havnevik - New Day
This song has every element necessary for a perfect song -- string arrangement, heavily-layered electronic programming, angelic vocals, smart yet simple lyrics, a slow build to start and a dancy ending. As Kate, herself, explains: "Its all about rising, waking up, coming to life and embracing a new day." It's a beautiful landscape of a song. A treasure uncovered as the last song on Melankton, which also happens to be one of the best albums of '06.

02Milosh - The City
Milosh states: "I started playing cello at the age of three and looking back on it with these older eyes, I have to admit that I have always had an intense attraction to songs that are sad, soft and beautiful." I can totally relate (except the part about the cello), no wonder I like this guy's sound so much. This track comes from the most beautiful album of the year, meme.

03Sparrow House - When I Am Gone
I recently blogged the lyrics of this song that really touch me deeply, but it's the stripped down innocence of the instrumentation that speaks the most to me. It's just that you believe everything he's telling you lyrically because his guitar and piano speak the same message in a different language. This is truly one of those tracks that you will have on repeat for an entire evening.

04Cat Power - The Greatest
I've blogged this one before. Just listen and tell me if her smoky vocals don't speak volumes beyond her already-dense lyrics. Fall in love, again. But just know that it has nothing to do with love.

05Band of Horses - The Funeral
Two guys. One extremely unique sound. I can't even tell you what this song means to me (and I mean that literally). The imagery of a "funeral" stirs my soul in ways that surpass the actual event. In all honesty, it represents something different every time I listen. Try it out for yourself.

06Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill
If you're a regular reader, you're probably sick of hearing about Thom Yorke at this point, but what can I say, the man is brilliant! Point and case, the short piano breakdown on this beautifully haunting track will subconsciously ring inside your head for weeks. We think the same things at the same time/We just can't do anything about it.

No comments: